Tuesday, May 25, 2010

5 Reasons Asheville Got Me Hooked on Biking

AskAsheville - Asheville Twitter - Asheville Blog - Asheville Videos - Asheville Social Media

Thanks to Strive Not to Drive Week, I can't get enough of my bike!
Wednesday, Strive not to drive week. I've been nagging myself about my idealization of riding my bike more this week. Ok smartass, I tell myself. If you are so green, at least bike to one appointment.

As I gasp my way up Chestnut Road from Montford to Charlotte street, I can't help but think how crazy I was to “just do it.” Moments later though, when my appointment is over and I zip down Chestnut street, I'm a completely different person. I've become addicted to biking, and here are my top 5 reasons why I love biking so much (especially in Asheville):
  1. I found a way to squeeze exercise into my super busy life – and quite possibly lose that last 25 pounds that has been following me around all these years.
  2. I think I finally unearthed the magic bullet cure for my chronic depression. The missing link all along – enough to keep my feet on the peddles.
  3. I had a random encounter with a friend on that Wednesday ride. I noticed he has managed to keep his weight loss off for many months, and I suspect it's because he bikes everywhere he goes. I think I'm on to something here.
  4. For a moment in my hectic life of mom, wife, manager, writer, etc, I transform into a 7-year old girl– flying down the street on my pink bike and the wind in my hair. I am free.
  5. On my bike I am a free-thinking human and not part of the car culture. I'm out of the matrix. I'm a rebel and a free-thinker. This is addicting.

The experience inspired me to stop making excuses for why I can't be a bike commuter and start making it a reality. So, I'm training my 5-year old on her bike and I picked up a Tailgator at Hearn's bicycle shop.
I think I understand the runner's high now.


--Kristin is a freelance writer and proud owner of a really cute pink bike. She lives in Asheville with her husband, daughter and cat. You can find her on twitter at twitter.com/kristinlogan

0 Comments:

 
AskAsheville.com | AskAsheville Youtube | Follow AskAsheville on Twitter |